Hi, my name is Mary Charles.
I find deep joy in the ministry of spiritual direction and received my training as a spiritual director from the Institute of Christian Spirituality at Lipscomb University. I have a heart for helping men and women pause in the fast-paced world that we live in and create safe space for being heard, asking questions, and listening to God’s voice in their lives.
I have a heart for spiritual formation and pastoral care, currently working towards a Master’s degree in Theology and Ministry from Fuller Theological Seminary with an emphasis on youth, family and culture. I live here in Franklin TN with my husband.
My journey began with a mentor who was also a trained spiritual director. We would meet up for coffee once a month, and she would ask intentional questions about my life and my faith. I remember thinking, “I don’t think anyone has ever been this intentional in listening!” What was so different about these times together?
This relationship turned into a faithful spiritual companion, and we became friends for the journey. This one hour of intentional time was a glimpse into a relationship with a spiritual director ( the real director being God). The role of the spiritual director is more of a facilitator, a trained companion who is there to listen and guide you in your discerning process.
Questions We May Explore Together
- Where have you seen God lately?
- Tell me how you experience God?
- What do you need from God?
- What do you want? After all, Jesus asked this question often to His disciples.
- If your life was a book, what would you name this current chapter of your life?
Education & Training
- Certification: Certified Spiritual Director through Lipscomb University
- Fuller Student: M.A., Theology & Ministry with a concentration on Youth, Family, and Culture